An armpit rash or commonly known as underarm rash can give you a painful time, constant itchy sensation and even leave you embarrassed.
Armpit rashes can affect anyone, be it men, women or even kids. You must be thinking about what causes these armpit rashes, what are the symptoms and possible cure/treatment of the rashes. While I must caution you that the first sign of rash, you should immediately refer a dermatologist near you. Self-medication should completely be avoided as it could lead to terrible consequences.
What is an armpit rash?
An armpit in our body is one of the sensitive areas that need routine hygiene check. The skin in the armpit has a presence of healthy microbes and bacteria but sometimes due to an external filth or germs coming in contact with our skin, these rashes could occur in the armpits. The rash could occur in the form of bumps, skin patches, flakes, scales, blisters and mild redness. Mainly caused by the imbalance of healthy microbes present in the sweat glands of the armpit, these rashes start with redness and end in constant itching and even end up bleeding. Sometimes improper hygiene, use of bad chemicals such as deodorants and bacterial infections can also result in armpit rashes. These rashes can be caused by fungal as well as bacterial infections.
What are the causes of armpit rash?
While you may not be aware but there are many types of armpit rashes, some mild and some really harmful ones. It highly depends on the cause of the armpit rash but some common ones that you could anticipate are a mild pimple like red rashes, bumpy or scaly rashes, odorous rashes, circular ring-like patches and even pus discharging rash. Some of the considerable ones are listed below:
- Food allergies
- Medicine allergies
- Insect Bites
- Presence of parasites in the skin
- Food poisoning
- Viral infections
- Intake of harmful drugs
- Staph infections
- Excessive sweating
- Odorous vaginal discharge
- Stressful life
- HIV and STDs (sexually transmitted diseases)
If you are a victim of rashes that are caused by any of the above then you should be visiting the dermatologist as soon as possible.
What are the symptoms?
Men, Women, kids of all ages can suffer from armpit rashes. Athletes, who indulge in heavy workouts, practice their sport in extreme weathers such as heat and humidity can also be a victim of armpit rashes. People with sensitive skin in the underarm are also an easy victim of fungal and bacterial infections in the armpit. The extreme symptoms that you could suffer from the harmful armpit rashes are:
- Cold with a runny nose
- A sore throat
- High fever
- Constant chills and extreme sweating
- Joint pains
- A rigorous headache
You must also know that there are various types of armpit rashes, it could be any of the below:
- Shingles armpit rash look like a blob of pimples that spread with constant itching from spread from the underarm to the breast area quickly.
- Candida is a common one that is caused by fungal infections.
- Multiple eruptive milia that are small cyst-like.
- Folliculitis, caused by an infection in the hair follicles of the armpit.
- Tinea corporis, a fungal infection of the skin that can spread from one part to the other quickly. If one armpit has the rash, it will quickly appear on the other armpit too.
- Tinea Axillaris also know as ringworm rash in the armpit is caused due to fungal infections.
- Contact Dermatitis is caused when the skin comes in contact with an external irritant such as harsh chemicals from soap or perfumes.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis is caused by overproduction of sebum from the sweat glands.
- Eczema commonly affects born babies or toddlers which causes itchy red patches.
- Miliaria rubra or rashes from the heat are caused due to blocked sweat glands. They appear like tiny red spots and are often called prickly rash.
Any visible symptoms that are pointed out above, you should try and avoid itching, report to your doctor as soon as these start to appear and do not indulge in self-medication as these could further deteriorate the health of your armpit area and can even result in a spread of rashes to other parts of the body.
Is there a remedy or a treatment for armpit rashes?
Underarm rashes are very uncomfortable and even embarrassing for all. These cause lot of discomfort, itching sensation and even have a bad odor that can leave you mortified. Hence it is imperative that you first get the right treatment for the armpit rashes. Mostly your doctors will advice antiviral medication for armpit rashes caused by viruses and in cases of bacterial infection and antibiotic will help you reduce the rashes. Those who catch fungal infections in the armpit area, antifungal prescriptions can help you heal the rashes in a couple of days.
The primary remedy for armpit rashes and other disorders is to lead a hygiene life. As much as you take care of your facial skin, similarly armpits shouldn’t be missed from a routine hygiene procedure. Try and avoid the use of harsh chemicals on this sensitive part of the body. Also, avoid over the counter medication as your doctor knows the best prescription for the type of armpit rash you may have developed.
If the rash, you feel, is mild and can be treated at home then these are some home remedies that could be of use to you:
- Apply a cold compress or ice pack.
- Use Aloe Vera gel, tea tree oil or Vitamin E oil.
- Consume Vitamin C in healthy quantities.
- Apply lemon; it will act as a natural deodorant to keep odors at bay.
- Baking soda, use it with your bathing water to lighten the symptoms.
- Apply neem leaves juice on the rash. It will heal the rash more rapidly.
- Application of Chamomile oil or cream can help you soothe the itching.
- Tropical creams such as Fucidin cream, Hydrocortisone cream, and calamine lotion can prove to be soothing. However please take a word of advice from the doctor before self-medication.
- Applying oatmeal will be a benefit too; it helps in restoring the pH balance of the skin.
Besides the above-listed treatments and home remedies, there are simple ways which you can include in your daily routine so as to avoid rashes. On the appearance of any rash, ensure the practice of proper personal hygiene. Before application of any antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial creams please ensure that the rashes area is washed properly. Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes; often friction from clothes causes mild rashes. Use of deodorants is becoming a fad but try and use minimal of these harsh chemicals on your skin. During humid and warm weathers, take a good consumption of water and juices, as much as you will keep yourself hydrated the more you will avoid a chance of getting a rash. Try and wear clothes that are made from natural fibers, some sensitive skin types are vary of artificial fibers.
Armpit Rash Pictures
Health know facts – http://health.knowfacts.org/armpit/underarm-rash-causes-pictures-toddlers-treatment-remedies/
Home remedies for life – http://homeremediesforlife.com/armpit-rash/
Heal cure – http://www.healcure.org/armpit/underarm-rash/underarm-rash-causes-pictures-painful-red-itchy-rash-treatment/
No comments yet.